Royals sign reliever Eli Morgan to minor league deal

CLEVELAND, OH – OCTOBER 17: Eli Morgan #49 of the Cleveland Guardians pitches during Game 3 of the ALCS presented by loanDepot between the New York Yankees and the Cleveland Guardians at Progressive Field on Thursday, October 17, 2024 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Lauren Leigh Bacho/MLB Photos via Getty Images) | MLB Photos via Getty Images

The Royals announced they have signed 29-year-old right-hander Eli Morgan to a minor league deal. Morgan was excellent in 2024, posting a 1.93 ERA in 32 games with Cleveland in 2024, but appeared in just seven games with the Cubs due to an elbow injury.

Morgan was originally an eighth-round pick by Cleveland out of Gonzaga in 2017. He debuted in 2021, making 18 starts with a 5.34 ERA, but was moved to the bullpen the next season. He found success as a reliever, posting a 3.38 ERA with 72 strikeouts and just 13 walks in 66.2 innings with the Guardians in 2022. He posted his best strikeout season in 2022 with 75 strikeouts, 10.0 per-nine-innings. He was limited to just 42 innings in 2024 due to elbow inflammation, yet posted a career-best 1.1 rWAR.

The elbow inflammation carried over the next season, and after a rough start, he was placed on the Injured List in April. It was diagnosed as an inflamed ulnar nerve in his right elbow, and he suffered a setback in rehab. He was due to return in September, but the Cubs optioned him to the minors instead, where he finished the season. The Cubs elected to non-tender him after the season, rather than pay him around $1 million.

Morgan mixes a 92 mph four-seamer with a slider and changeup. Last year in his limited action, he increased his change-up usage to 41 percent.

The Royals have been building up their bullpen depth in the last week, adding veterans Héctor Neris and Aaron Sanchez on minor league deals. The cost to take a gamble on these players is next to nothing and at the very least they have some arms to pitch in spring training games and potentially at Omaha. And who knows, there’s a chance they have something left in the tank and can contribute to the big league team.

Brooks Koepka feels the nerves in return to PGA Tour from LIV. He also heard plenty of support

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Brooks Koepka felt nerves he had not experienced in years. The swagger that was such a hallmark of his five major championships was replaced by concern about the reception he would get upon his return to the PGA Tour after nearly four years on Saudi-funded LIV Golf.

Koepka didn’t make a birdie until his final hole Thursday. He failed to break par on the tough South course at Torrey Pines in the Farmers Insurance Open.

And there was a small measure of relief.

“I’m just grateful to be out here and have a chance to compete with these guys,” Koepka said.

A large gallery followed him around on a glorious day along the Pacific bluffs with occasional shouts of, “Welcome back, Brooks.” On his way to the second tee, two young boys called out to him and Koepka walked over for fist bumps. He walked the entire 30 yards of a fence where fans wanted his autograph after his 1-over 73.

“I care about what everybody’s thinking out here, what everybody’s doing, and just trying to be as good of a person and good of a player as I can be,” Koepka said. “Just wanted a warm reception. Just like everybody else, you walk into a room, nobody wants to feel exiled. They just want to be loved.”

Koepka was freed from the final year of his nine-figure contract with LIV Golf on Dec. 23, applied for his PGA Tour membership about two weeks later and in three days was provided a path back.

The hard part was how he would be received. That’s what brought the relief, and a big smile even after a round in which he hit the ball cleanly and couldn’t buy a putt. The 8-footer for birdie on the 18th was the longest putt he made all day.

“I’m the only one in the entire world that’s going through this situation so it’s very difficult to explain,” Koepka said. “But I’m enjoying it, I really am.”

And now he has company, with former Masters champion Patrick Reed leaving LIV Golf with a chance to return to the PGA Tour as early as September. Koepka didn’t see that coming and only learned about it during his pro-am Wednesday.

“Yeah, it’s wild,” Koepka said. “Whatever Patrick wants to do and to be the best golfer he can be, best for his family, I’m in full support of that.”

Koepka said he felt nervous on the first tee, though it didn’t show. He piped his drive 301 yards at sea level into the fairway, one of his better iron shots of the day to 10 feet and missed his putt.

“I guess I should have been more nervous the rest of the round,” Koepka said.

The South course is among the strongest on the PGA Tour, producing more pars than any excitement. Koepka missed birdie chances on both par 5s on the front nine, and he made a sloppy bogey on the par-5 13th when his flip wedge up the steep hill to a flag he couldn’t see was too strong and went into the rough behind the green.

He was 11 shots behind Justin Rose, who had a 62 on the easier North course, and eight shots worse than Seamus Power, who had a 65 for the low score on the South.

“It’s been a while since I played competitive golf, so I like the way I’m playing,” said Koepka, who last played Oct. 5 at the Dunhill Links Championship in Scotland. “I just need to kind of play my way into it.”

His departure to LIV Golf in 2022 — one of the biggest surprises among the players who left the PGA Tour for the guaranteed Saudi riches — felt much longer ago. Koepka couldn’t recall if he heard any comments outside the ropes in Portland when he made his LIV debut.

And he wasn’t sure what to expect in San Diego.

“I don’t like thinking ahead at all or trying to anticipate what was going to happen, but I wasn’t sure, which is kind of weird being uneasy,” he said. “From the first tee on, it was great. It actually made me settle down a little bit. Like I said, it made me feel good just to be out here.”

Koepka is in the Phoenix Open next week. He is not in the $20 million signature events unless he qualifies. His return also stipulates a $5 million charity donation, no access to PGA Tour equity shares for five years, no FedEx Cup bonus money he might earn this year.

The tour also said whenever Koepka plays he will be added to the field to not take a spot from anyone. And then two more players get into tournaments on Monday of tournament week to make sure every group is a threesome.

The two beneficiaries this week were Jackson Suber and Lanto Griffin, a big deal to Griffin because Torrey Pines is his favorite course and he otherwise would not be in except for Koepka.

That led Griffin to say jokingly, “If Brooks really wants to create some goodwill, he should enter every tournament and then withdraw on Tuesday.”

___

AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf

Lakers Austin Reaves listed as questionable for Friday, could return after missing 17 games

In another timeline, the discussion right now would be about whether Austin Reaves should be an All-Star in the West — that was the level he was playing at before his calf injury.

Now, the conversation is about his return, which could be as early as Friday in Washington, as he has been listed as questionable for the game.

Also questionable for that game is Luka Doncic, who injured his ankle falling off the raised court in Cleveland on Wednesday night. Doncic returned to the game after the fall, but ankles can tighten up over time and the Lakers likely want to be cautious.

“It is absolutely a safety hazard,” Lakers coach JJ Redick said of the raised court after his team’s loss. “And I don’t know why it’s still like that. I don’t.”

Reaves averaged 26.6 points a game, shooting 36.5% from 3-point range, while dishing out 6.3 assists and grabbing 5.2 rebounds a game in the 23 games he played before the injury. The Lakers have gone 9-8 while he was out.

Mauricio Pochettino dismisses criticism of World Cup ticket prices by American winger Tim Weah

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — U.S. coach Mauricio Pochettino dismissed criticism of World Cup ticket prices by American winger Tim Weah.

FIFA is charging up to $8,680 list price per ticket for the tournament, which runs from June 11 to July 19 in the U.S., Mexico and Canada, and as much as $175 for parking spots.

“It is too expensive,” Weah was quoted as saying this month by France’s Le Dauphiné. “I am just a bit disappointed by the ticket prices. Lots of real fans will miss matches.”

“First of all, I think players need to talk on the pitch, playing football, not outside of,” Pochettino said Thursday during a Zoom news conference from Coral Gables, Florida. “It is not his duty to evaluate the price of the ticket. And then also my job, my duty is to prepare the team, the U.S. men’s national team in the best way to perform. We are not politicians. We are sport people that only we can talk about our job and I think if FIFA does something or takes some decision, they know why, and (it) is their responsibility to explain why. But it is not about us to provide our opinion. Our responsibility is to perform, play and perform on the pitch and then the people that is in charge of the federation, maybe he can give his opinion, but I am the head coach of the federation.”

The U.S. has friendlies against Belgium (March 28), Portugal (March 31), Senegal (May 31) and Germany (June 6) before their World Cup opener against Paraguay in June 12 at Inglewood, California.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Lakers’ Luka Doncic, Austin Reaves listed as questionable for Friday’s game

Lakers guards Luka Doncic (77) and Austin Reaves have been listed as questionable to play Friday against the Wizards in Washington. (Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)

The Lakers have upgraded guard Austin Reaves (left calf strain) to questionable from out and listed guard Luka Doncic (left ankle soreness) as questionable for Friday night’s game against the Washington Wizards.

Reaves has been out since getting injured on Christmas Day against the Houston Rockets, a span of 17 games.

In 23 games this season, Reaves is averaging career highs in points (26.6), assists (6.3) and rebounds (5.2). Reaves is shooting 50.7% from the field and 36.5% from three-point range.

Doncic injured his ankle during the Lakers’ blowout loss to the Cavaliers on Wednesday night after falling off the side of Cleveland’s raised court while shooting a fadeaway three-pointer in the first quarter.

He hobbled to the Lakers’ locker room and was unable to put any weight on his leg. But Doncic did return to play and finished the game with 29 points, six assists and five rebounds.

Doncic leads the NBA in scoring at 33.6 points per game and is third in assists at 8.7.

“I kind of got scared,” Doncic told reporters after the game in Cleveland. “It wasn’t a great feeling and looking back at the video, I think I got a little bit lucky. It hurts obviously more now, but, just, I tried to go.”

Sign up for our weekly newsletter on all things Lakers.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

Offseason open thread: January 29

ATLANTA, GA – JANUARY 21: Braves fans play catch on the field during the 2023 Braves Fest on January 21, 2023 at The Battery and Truist Park in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by David J. Griffin/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) | Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

So here’s the forecast for Saturday (a.k.a. Braves Fest day) as of right now:

Of course, this could definitely change between now and Saturday (especially considering how the Metro Atlanta area ended up dodging a bullet (for the most part) when it came to last weekend’s ice storm) but also OOF. Even if there’s no snow, it’s looking like a lock that it’ll be 27 degrees. I’m not trying to hear from folks who have real winter, that’s frigid for these parts. So yeah, if you’re going to Braves fest then you’re, well, pretty brave.

Anyways, the floor is now yours. Here’s your random clip for the night:

You’re going to see Joey Votto talk baseball on TV this year

SAN DIEGO, CA – JUNE 19: Joey Votto #19 of the Cincinnati Reds is held back while arguing with the home plate umpire after being ejected against the San Diego Padres on June 19, 2021 at Petco Park in San Diego, California. (Photo by Matt Thomas/San Diego Padres/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Cincinnati Reds legend and future baseball Hall of Famer Joey Votto is going to be a big part of NBC’s Major League Baseball coverage beginning this spring.

According to Front Office Sports, Votto is among a pretty impressive (on field) trio that will be joining NBC’s coverage, with fellow future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw and some guy who played for the Cubs for a while also set to headline.

What remains to be seen, though, is in just what capacity we’ll see Votto.

Will he be a featured analyst during weekly Sunday Night Baseball broadcasts? Will he be parked behind a desk in-studio for larger national coverage?

Will he dress like a mountie? Will he drive a school bus to work each day?

Will he go with a beard, since it’s now perpetually his off-season?

Regardless, we’re about to hear one of the best minds the sport has ever seen be back on television front and center, providing us with the kind of insight into the game of baseball at a level we could only dream.

Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon out at least a month with strained right hamstring

DENVER (AP) — The Denver Nuggets will be without forward Aaron Gordon for at least a month after he inured his right hamstring last week at Milwaukee.

The team said Thursday before hosting Brooklyn that Gordon will be evaluated again in 4 to 6 weeks. Gordon is averaging 17.7 points and 6.2 rebounds this season.

“I’m more concerned about Aaron as a person, and trying to get him in the right headspace to complete this short journey again that he just went through,” Nuggets coach David Adelman said. “It’s just been one of those years. It’s been a crazy year.”

Gordon missed 19 games earlier this season with a strained left hamstring. The Nuggets also are without center Nikola Jokic (left knee), forward Cameron Johnson (right knee) and forward Christian Braun (left ankle).

Jokic, a three-time MVP, led the NBA in rebounding (12.2) and assists (11.0) and was the team’s leading scorer at 29.6 points per game when he was injured at Miami on Dec. 29. Denver has struggled in the past with Jokic sidelined, but it is 9-6 since he suffered his hyperextended knee.

Adelman said Jokic, Johnson and Braun have a chance to return in the next two weeks.

“The hope and the aspirations of our group is that they will play before the All-Star break — outside of Aaron. Will that come to fruition? I have no idea,” he said. “And if they do come back, it’ll be with limits what they can do, so we’ll have to balance that as well. But the sooner the better.”

The 30-year-old Gordon was acquired by Denver in a trade with Orlando in March 2021. He was an integral piece when the Nuggets won the 2023 NBA title.

“We know he’ll be back before the end of the season, and he’ll get back to being who he is,” Adelman said. “Just an unfortunate thing in a season of many unfortunate things.”

___

AP NBA: https://www.apnews.com/hub/NBA

Thunder vs Timberwolves Prediction, Picks & Odds for Tonight’s NBA Game

The Minnesota Timberwolves have had an ugly January, but much of that consternation would be wiped away with an upset of the Oklahoma City Thunder tonight.

While Minnesota is at a scheduling disadvantage, OKC is a bit shorthanded.

My Thunder vs. Timberwolves predictions see a path for Minnesota’s best player to attack.

Let’s break down my NBA picks for Thursday, January 29.

Tip-off is set for 9:30 p.m. ET from the Target Center in Minneapolis, with the game airing on Prime Video. 

Thunder vs Timberwolves prediction

Thunder vs Timberwolves best bet: Anthony Edwards Over 25.5 points (-125)

Even though Anthony Edwards has been managing some foot pain, he has cleared this prop in three of his last five games.

Frankly, this prop is at least a bucket lower than usual for Edwards, a nod to the Oklahoma City Thunder’s defense. But he has still scored at least 30 points in three of his last six games against OKC and cleared this prop in a fourth.

Edwards often finds things tougher against Alex Caruso, whose disciplined on-ball pressure disrupts drives without sending opponents to the line, a Thunder staple.

But with Caruso ruled out due to a right adductor strain, Edwards should see a few more clear paths to the basket. And a few more clear paths to the basket should get Edwards into a rhythm that should clear 30 points tonight.

Thunder vs Timberwolves same-game parlay

The Minnesota Timberwolves have covered the spread in both meetings against Oklahoma City this season, partly because both those games fell short of their totals.

Thunder vs Timberwolves SGP

  • Anthony Edwards Over 25.5 points
  • Timberwolves +6.5
  • Under 224.5

Our “from downtown” SGP: SGA erratic from the perimeter

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is 1-of-8 from long range in his last three games, part of falling short of this modest prop in 13 of his last 18 games.

Thunder vs Timberwolves SGP

  • Anthony Edwards Over 25.5 points
  • Timberwolves +6.5
  • Under 224.5
  • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Under 1.5 three-pointers

Thunder vs Timberwolves odds

  • Spread: Thunder -6.5 | Timberwolves +6.5
  • Moneyline: Thunder -240 | Timberwolves +195
  • Over/Under: Over 224.5 | Under 224.5

Thunder vs Timberwolves betting trend to know

The Timberwolves are 7-3 against the spread in their last 10 games against the Thunder. Find more NBA betting trends for Thunder vs. Timberwolves.

How to watch Thunder vs Timberwolves

Location Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
Date Thursday, January 29, 2026
Tip-off 9:30 p.m. ET
TV Prime Video

Thunder vs Timberwolves latest injuries

Not intended for use in MA.
Affiliate Disclosure: Our team of experts has thoroughly researched and handpicked each product that appears on our website. We may receive compensation if you sign up through our links.

This article originally appeared on Covers.com, read the full article here

Nuggets injuries just keep piling up: Aaron Gordon out 4-6 weeks with hamstring strain

Denver just cannot seem to catch a break with injuries.

Forward Aaron Gordon is out for at least a month with a strained right hamstring and will be re-evaluated in 4-6 weeks, as first reported by ESPN’s Shams Charania and later confirmed by others.

Gordon aggravated a previous hamstring injury against the Bucks last week. That previous injury sidelined him for six weeks. Denver has held its own without Gordon — a key glue guy for them on both ends of the court — going 14-10 in the games he has missed so far. Denver has a +0.7 net rating when he is off the floor.

This is just the latest in a seemingly endless string of injuries in Denver this season. The Nuggets are currently playing without four starters in Nikola Jokic (hamstring, Christian Braun (ankle), Cameron Johnson (knee) and Gordon (hamstring). On top of all that, point guard Jamal Murray — who should be named an All-Star reserve — is day-to-day with a hamstring issue himself.

Denver has been an impressive 9-5 since Jokic went out and has held on to the No. 3 seed in the West. He is expected to be re-evaluated in the next week and is reportedly nearing a return. He has been out for a month with a bone bruise from a hyperextended left knee.